Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pumpkin muffins or bread

I am still working my way through the large supply of organic pumpkin cans I stocked up on a couple months ago.   We've been enjoying a lot of pumpkin muffins and sometimes pumpkin bread.

Pumpkin Spice Bread
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/pumpkin-spice-bread.html
This pumpkin spice bread is very delicious and can be made with fat for those that don't love fat free baking... or without fat it's still very delicious.  This recipe is higher in sugar than others I use, so I only make it occasionally.   I use white whole wheat flour in this recipe and it turns out perfectly.
Click here for the nutrition facts for this recipe made into 18 fat free muffins.

Pumpkin Raisin Muffins
http://www.nutritionmd.org/recipes/view.html?recipe_id=547
The yield for me on this recipe was much higher than listed.  I got 18 muffins and one mini loaf of bread out of this... and they were gobbled up quickly.   I ran low on raisins so I substituted dried cranberries instead.

Tip: When a recipe calls for you to only use part of a canned good, such as this recipe where you have part of a can of pumpkin left over, simply put the remainder in a Ziploc freezer bag, mark the bag with the contents and freeze it for later use.   One week I made these muffins and then froze the remaining pumpkin. The following week I took that out of the freezer and used it to thicken a stew I was making!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment