Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chocolate chip cookies with beans?!?

Butter Bean Cookies
http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/butter-bean-cookies/

These cookies are very popular with everyone.  Don't worry about the beans... you don't actually see the beans in the cookies, they are pureed and used as a butter/fat substitution.

I use my Vitamix instead of a food processor when called for in the recipe and I think they turn out great.

The liquid in bean cans kind of grosses me out, so I drain and rinse my beans and then use water in the recipe when the reserved liquid is called for.

The interesting thing I've found in "healthy" low-fat baking is that when you remove traditional sources of fat (like butter and oil), the batter does not behave the same while baking... ie. the cookies don't really "grow" much while baking.  They pretty much stay in the same size & shape... so you don't need to put much space between them on the baking sheet.

Finally, I found it easier to double the recipe... gives us some leftover cookies to enjoy for the next couple of days.   I prefer to eat them heated up in the microwave for a few seconds... just so the chocolate is a little bit melty.  Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment