Friday, February 8, 2013

Doughnuts for breakfast!

Banana Bread Breakfast Doughnuts
 http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/02/22/banana-bread-breakfast-doughnuts/



I often make these doughnuts and everyone loves them - including the banana hater in the house.

I have tried the recipe with both spelt flour and white whole wheat flour.  Both turn out fine, but I prefer the texture of the spelt (although the spelt is way more expensive!)

I don't add any oil, and instead increase the milk (almond or soy) to 1/3 cup.
I do add chocolate chips... this is probably why they're so popular.  I use the mini chocolate chips and just lightly sprinkle the top of my batter bowl with them and then mix in.  So not too many... but just enough that I can call them chocolate chip doughnuts!

I've only made these with agave syrup... but am interested in trying maple syrup as the sweetener instead.  Let me know how they turn out if you do!    Also, once I was a bit short on the Agave syrup and they still turned out fine... so I think it can work to cut back the sweeter a bit if you'd like.

The recipe says to bake for 30+ minutes.  Mine are always very done in 20 minutes.

The yield on this recipe for me is 12 huge doughnuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment